❱ Houseboat vacation - no license required on the most beautiful waterways
Holidays on the world's most beautiful waterways
- selected, reliable, and experienced partners with high-standard boats
- functional interior design, on bigger boats there is a sliding roof
- silent but strong engines
- complete kitchen equipment: warm water, refrigerator, dishes, cups, knives and forks
- bathroom with toilet. Shower and washbasin are almost always present
- heating for chilly nights on most boats
House boating is not difficult!
According to your wishes, you can either experience the most diverse splendors of the natural surroundings, embark on adventurous exploration tours in untouched and species-rich river landscapes, finally take the time to dedicate yourself to your family and friends, or simply enjoy the company of your only companion in a wonderfully romantic environment.
Follow the horizon of the river that will surprise you with ever more new impressions. All descriptions of rivers and canals that follow are especially well-suited for holidays with a chartered houseboat. Most of these waterways are also ideal for novice captains. The experienced houseboat cruiser finds in France, the Netherlands, Germany, England, Ireland, the U.S., Canada, and Italy an endless net of waterways that can hardly be explored in their totality during one single lifetime.
But where is the engine?
After your booking you will receive a complete inventory for the fully equipped boat (bed linen is usually included). We will also send you the most important navigation rules, instructions for the locks, breakdown service, and insurance regulations. On board your boat you will find a regional guide for rivers and canals. We recommend, however, that the traveller prepares him or herself for the journey prior to the trip. There is a wide selection of literature on the topic in almost any language.
With the help of an inventory you will check the boat's equipment in the presence of the relevant staff. A short test run with the boat overseen by an employee of the base will put you at ease. Finally you can start! Even in the event of a breakdown of some kind, there will be no need to panic. One quick call to the base is enough to get qualified help on the spot.
Get on board!
Not every region is suitable for an inexperienced captain. Different regulations in different countries as well as waterways with heavy boat traffic and strong currents may demand some experience on the captain's part.The different demands that the captain has to face can be divided into four groups:
- 1. No Licence: Ideal here is the River Erne in Ireland, the Norfolk Broads in England or the Saône in France.
- 2. No Licence (basic knowledge and some experience): Waterways of this category include, for instance, the canals in the Netherlands or many French ones such as the Etang du Thau, the Canal du Rhone a Sète, the Canal du Midi, the Camargue or the Maas in the Ardennes.
- 3. No Licence (navigation knowledge for locks): Waterways in this category include the Barrow and the Grand Canal in Ireland, the English lakes and the Caledonian Canal, and the French Canal de Bourgogne and the Canal du Nivernais.
- 4. Profound Knowledge Required (licence partly required): This category includes the lakes of Sweden, the German Lahn, Moselle, and the Mecklenburg lake-district. The official sport boat licence is required on all German waterways. There is the possibility of obtaining a charter licence with reduced scope for the Mecklenburg lake-district and on some other German waterways. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you are not sure which category is appropriate for you.